Few people know that Son Tra peninsula is also known by another name, which is Monkey Mountain. This is because this is the common home of more than 100 kinds of rare animals, listed in Vietnam’s Red Book that need to be preserved such as brocade python, red-faced chicken, etc. In particular, Son Tra conservation area. also become more valuable by the appearance of more than 400 brown-shanked douc langurs, they are dubbed the Queen of primates. That is also the reason why people call Son Tra Monkey Mountain.
A brief introduction about Son Tra Monkey Mountain
One of the top impressive and attractive tourist destinations in Da Nang, Son Tra peninsula is not only a diverse nature reserve but also focuses on many unexpected destinations. Linh Ung Pagoda, Ban Co peak, thousand-year-old banyan tree, Bai Da, Bai But, etc. create a Son Tra with an irresistible attraction. Visitors to Da Nang, all love to visit Son Tra even once.
Talking about the name Monkey Mountain in particular, it is also a privilege that nature bestows on “the green lung of Da Nang”. Not only possessing unique vegetation, the fauna on Son Tra is also extremely rich and diverse. Typically, it is the golden monkey. Its scientific name is Macaca mulatta, classified as endangered and rare forest animals in group IIB.
Unlike the shy brown-shanked douc langur, the yellow monkey on Son Tra peninsula is quite brave. In the past few years, they have appeared quite a lot in the area behind Linh Ung Pagoda, even spilling onto the street to feed. This is what makes it interesting, many tourists are curious to see and learn about the life of monkeys here. Now, on the way to visit Son Tra, you will see many unique stone monkey statues, as if to show this is the land of monkeys.
The right time to visit Monkey Mountain in Son Tra
Monkeys are mostly active all year round, so you can visit Son Tra Monkey Mountain at any time. However, in order to have a convenient and hassle-free sightseeing session, you should choose to go on sunny, beautiful days. From March to August is the dry season in Da Nang, the days are almost only sunny, no rain. From September to February is the rainy season, especially in October and November it rains a lot, even storms and floods, so avoid going at this time.
The fastest way to get to Monkey Mountain
Where is Son Tra Monkey Mountain located in Da Nang?
Monkey Mountain is an interesting name for Son Tra peninsula, so if you want to see monkeys, you just need to go to Son Tra to see them. Accordingly, Son Tra peninsula is likened to the shining pearl of Da Nang city. This place belongs to Tho Quang phoenix, Son Tra district, with 3 sides facing the sea and 1 side helping the mainland. The location of this place is about 10km northeast of the city center.
The fastest way to move to Monkey Mountain
Monkey Mountain Son Tra now in particular and Son Tra peninsula in general, has become a famous tourist attraction of Da Nang. Therefore, the roads connecting the center to here are spacious, spacious and beautiful. From any location in the city, near the sea, near the center, it is very easy to move here.
- Going from the city center: You just need to go to the area of Dragon Bridge, Tran Thi Ly Bridge or Song Han Bridge, go straight to the end of the road will be adjacent to the sea. From here, you turn left onto Vo Nguyen Giap street, run straight to meet Hoang Sa street to reach Son Tra peninsula.
- Going from Hoi An: If starting from Hoi An, you just need to follow the route Hoi An – Da Nang. Then, go to Truong Sa – Vo Nguyen Giap – Hoang Sa – Son Tra peninsula.
- Going from Hue: You just need to go through Hai Van pass or Hai Van tunnel – connect to Nguyen Van Cu – Nguyen Luong Bang – Ton Duc Thang – to Nguyen Sinh Sac street roundabout turn left – go straight to the end of the road – turn right on Nguyen Tat Thanh street – go straight through Thuan Phuoc bridge – go to Le Duc Tho – turn left to enter Hoang Sa street.
Suggest means of transportation to
To have a leisurely time to visit other places on Son Tra peninsula, combined with visiting Monkey Mountain, people should choose 1 of 2 options, which is to ride a motorbike or rent a shuttle. If taking a taxi, the driver only takes you to a certain location, no waiting. If you go by motorbike, you can be more proactive about your travel schedule. If traveling in a large group, with young children and adults, it is best to rent a shuttle bus with 4-16 seats. The car will make sure to bring you to your destination safely.
Renting a car with a driver is the best way to explore: Danang to Son Tra Peninsula
After arriving at Son Tra Monkey Mountain, stop the car and walk to easily explore the scenery here. Moreover, to be able to approach the monkeys, you should avoid loud noises, only move gently so that they feel safe and more natural.
Check in Son Tra Monkey Mountain – the most interesting experiences to try
Explore monkey life
The world of wild animals always has a great attraction, it seems that everyone wants to witness their interesting life with their own eyes. With golden monkeys, they are almost very similar to humans, with intelligence and agility. When coming here, there is nothing more interesting than watching them fly, find food and interact with each other.
Take pictures of lovely monkeys
Although the Son Tra peninsula is full of beautiful scenes, do not forget to capture the interesting moments of the monkeys here. For the best close-ups, slowly make yourself and move closer to them, so they can sense that you’re not doing any harm. Because the behavior of monkeys is to move quickly and continuously, take advantage of the opportunity to take any picture.
Feed the monkeys
This will be a very popular activity with tourists, as well as an opportunity for you to see them more clearly. Monkey’s favorite food is usually fruits, bread or cakes. However, you should not give them too much, because this will cause the monkeys to spill onto the road, fighting, causing fights. Even if there is a car passing by, it will easily cause an accident. In addition, some foods can bring disease to monkeys.
Recommended hotel to stay when exploring Monkey Mountain
To be more convenient for visiting Monkey Island, you can stay at hotels near Son Tra area. Hotels are mainly concentrated on Vo Nguyen Giap and Hoang Sa streets with a diverse accommodation system from 2 to 5 stars. Here are some suggestions for comfortable, cheap hotels near Son Tra you should refer to.
- Dan Oasis Hotel: Hoang Sa Street A2, Son Tra, Da Nang
- Cani Beach House: 6 Le Boi, Man Thai, Son Tra, Da Nang
- De Lamour Hotel: 46 Vo Nguyen Giap, Man Thai, Son Tra, Da Nang
- Fusion Suites Da Nang: An Cu 5 residential area, Vo Nguyen Giap street, Man Thai, Son Tra.
NOTE : Although it is near Monkey Mountain, those are not necessarily the places to stay that you should choose, because the room rates are quite expensive. Instead, you can choose hotels located in the inner area or ideally near the My Khe beach area. This is considered the accommodation center of Da Nang, from 2-3 star hotels to 4-5 star hotels.
Visiting Monkey Mountain, which restaurants should you visit?
From the location of Son Tra peninsula, visitors can easily find a delicious and cheap place to eat nearby. Not only famous for its beautiful scenery, diverse hotel system, but also many restaurants and eateries here. Not only fresh seafood restaurants, but also many attractive specialty dishes.
Suggest some specialty restaurants near Son Tra:
- Rice cake soup: Ha Thi Than, Son Tra District, Da Nang
- Restaurant 2 Cau Cay: 120 Pham Tu, Phuoc My, Son Tra, Da Nang
- Tu Danh snail: 1 Trieu Viet Vuong, Son Tra District, Da Nang.
- Loan grilled pork vermicelli: 831 Ngo Quyen, Son Tra, Da Nang
- Be Ha noodle soup: 130 Bui Huu Nghia, Phuoc My, Son Tra, Da Nang.
Sightseeing places close to Monkey Mountain must-visit
Monkey Mountain is the name for Son Tra peninsula, so when you come here, you will also visit many other very beautiful places such as Linh Ung Pagoda, Bai Da, Bai But, the thousand-year-old banyan tree, etc. the top of the Chess Board. To go to all these places, you can wrap it up in one session. If you want to swim, eat at the beach, it takes a day.
A few small notes when visiting Son Tra Monkey Mountain
- Son Tra is a rare nature reserve, so visitors to Monkey Mountain need to be conscious of protecting and preserving the natural landscape. In particular, it is forbidden to perform acts that harm monkeys as well as other animals here such as hunting and chasing. If found, the management will be severely fined.
- If traveling by motorbike, remember to fill up the tank with gas, check all brakes, lights, horns and engine before starting. Although the route to Son Tra peninsula is not very steep, it is quite roundabout, and there is no place to repair cars or fill up with gas.
- Currently, Son Tra peninsula is urging tourists not to feed the monkeys, the purpose is not to affect the ability to survive as well as ensure the number of monkeys on the island. So please keep this in mind when visiting Monkey Island.
Interesting information about Monkey Mountain Son Tra has been sent to you by dulichsontra.com. It is wonderful that in the heart of Da Nang, there are golden monkeys and dozens of rare animals in such a large number. During your visit to Son Tra peninsula, take the time to get a better sense of the life of this conserved primate.