Thung Nham Bird Park is located in Hai Nham hamlet, Ninh Hai commune, Hoa Lu district, Ninh Binh province, 12km from the city of Ninh Binh. It is a well-known destination attracting many tourists both domestically and internationally, featuring a combination of cultural and spiritual elements with stunning landscapes. The area boasts tropical forests, extensive cave systems, and abundant waterways. It is also the habitat for various bird species such as storks, herons, egrets, kingfishers, and two rare species, the red-crowned crane and phoenix, both listed in the Red Book.
Inside the Thung Nham complex, there are additional services available, including fishing, team-building activities, exploring flooded forests, and mountain climbing. You and your loved ones will never be short of enjoyable activities when visiting here.
Introduction to Thung Nham Bird Park
Ninh Binh, a land of poetic landscapes, has been generously endowed by nature with prominent attractions such as Trang An, Tam Coc-Bich Dong, and the Vân Long wetland, all of which are majestic. Additionally, when setting foot in this region, Thung Nham Bird Park in Ninh Binh is a must-visit destination while exploring the ancient capital of Hoa Lu. Thung Nham Bird Park is an eco-tourism site located 12km from Ninh Binh city, in Hai Nham hamlet, Ninh Hai commune, Hoa Lu district, within the core area of the Trang An scenic complex. It has gained popularity among tourists in recent years due to its pristine and fascinating beauty, as well as its refreshing and cool atmosphere.
Nature has favored Thung Nham with an incredibly diverse ecosystem, featuring vast water landscapes with over 300 hectares of flooded forests. This area is the habitat of rare and endangered species, some of which are listed in the world’s Red Book. There are approximately 46 bird species with more than 50,000 individuals, 109 plant species, and 150 animal species.
With a landscape dominated by karst formations combined with evergreen forests, Thung Nham boasts numerous caves. Besides admiring rare wildlife and trying mountain climbing, visitors can explore dry and water caves adorned with colorful stalactites. Some recreational activities here include boat rowing, overnight camping, fishing, cycling, visiting pristine forests, and enjoying meals on a landscape lake.
When to Visit Thung Nham?
You can visit Thung Nham at any time of the year, but perhaps the most special time is during the fall when the weather is cool and crisp. In the evening, you can admire flocks of birds returning to their nests, or in the early morning, you may witness them foraging. The climate during this season is beautiful, not yet fully into winter, so it remains cool and sunny. You can comfortably explore and enjoy the fresh air at Thung Nham, participating in various activities on the premises.
Thung Nham is beautiful throughout all four seasons, so you can experience it in any season. Avoid the peak months from April to July if you prefer a less crowded atmosphere. The best time to witness the beauty of the bird kingdom is in the fall when the weather is cooler than other months. Observing thousands of birds flying back to their nests, forming flocks under the golden autumn sky, creates a serene scene. If you can’t wait until the evening for this spectacle, you can wake up early at dawn when they leave their nests, listening to the joyful bird songs, like a remedy for the soul.
Regarding the opening hours of the tourist area:
- Summer hours: 7:30 AM – 6:00 PM
- Winter hours: 7:30 AM – 5:30 PM
Ticket Prices for Thung Nham Bird Park
Ticket prices for a day of enjoyable exploration at Thung Nham:
- Adults: 100,000 VND/person
- Children (height from 0.8m to 1.3m): 50,000 VND/person
- Children under 0.8m: free
These prices cover entry to the Thung Nham nature reserve, which operates from 7:00 AM to 6:00 PM every day of the week.
For a more comprehensive tour experience, you can also purchase additional tickets to visit the Bird Garden and the But Cave at the following prices:
- Bird Garden: 20,000 VND/person
- But Cave: 20,000 VND/person
How to Get to Thung Nham Bird Park
Hanoi is approximately a 2-hour drive from Ninh Binh, so plan your time wisely to arrive here quickly and on time.
You can independently travel by motorbike or personal car if you want to both travel and enjoy the scenery. Follow National Highway 1A to Ninh Binh, and then continue 8km to Tam Coc. Afterward, follow the signs. If you’re not familiar with the route, don’t worry, as Google Maps can assist you. Alternatively, when you reach Ninh Binh, you can ask the locals for help, as they are always willing to assist you.
There are many passenger bus companies operating to Ninh Binh, with prices ranging from 70,000 to 100,000 VND. To catch the bus, go to Giai Bat or My Dinh bus stations. Buses depart approximately every 30 minutes. Some bus companies on the Ninh Binh-Hanoi route include Gia Minh, Cuong Hung, Duc Long, Hoang Thin, and Quang Thang. For added convenience, you can contact limousine bus services, with prices ranging from 150,000 to 200,000 VND. They provide door-to-door pick-up and drop-off services.
If you prefer the train, along the North-South railway line, trains from Hanoi to Ninh Binh run five times a day. Ticket prices range from 100,000 to 250,000 VND, depending on the seat class.
Moreover, if you desire a quick and convenient option with pick-up and drop-off services, you can book a private car with a driver in Ha Noi from DanangPrivateCar.com. With a professional and English-speaking driver, you can easily reach Thung Nham Bird Park.
Once you arrive in Ninh Binh, there are various options for transportation to Thung Nham. Due to the challenging roads, you can consider renting a motorbike in Ninh Binh at a price of 150,000 VND per day. Alternatively, you can take a taxi with fares ranging from 200,000 to 250,000 VND. Some taxi companies in Ninh Binh include Taxi Mai Linh, Minh Long, Xuan Thanh, Trang An, Hoa Lu, Thuy Duong.
Explore the Beauty of Thung Nham Bird Park
Once a pristine wetland, Thung Nham has been transformed into a comprehensive ecological architecture: exploring the flooded and primeval forests, discovering the bird park, eco-tourism, fishing, mountain climbing… suitable for all ages.
Thung Nham offers many beautiful landscapes that may be hard to fully appreciate in just one day. If you have a day at Thung Nham, here are some must-visit places for you to freely roam and admire the scenery.
Thung Nham Bird Conservation Area
This is the place you should visit the most. Amidst the brackish mangrove forest, flocks of pure white birds fly gracefully, a habitat for many bird species such as storks, red-headed cranes, mòng két, herons, and even rare species like the Phoenix, the Red-Crowned Crane… one of the creatures in the mythical quartet: Dragon, Unicorn, Tortoise, and Phoenix. You can explore the bird park by bicycle, but taking a boat is the most convenient way to observe.
After visiting the bird park, you will reach But Cave, a natural cave with a system of shimmering and beautiful stalactites over 500m long. Though there is no lighting system yet, you can use electric torches. You will see the image of stalactites forming the mysterious figure of But (Buddha) in the middle of the underground river. It is refreshing here in the summer.
Vai Gioi Cave
The name Vai Gioi originated from the ancient times when people used the cave for sky-worshipping ceremonies, praying for a year of favorable weather, abundant crops. Unlike But Cave, Vai Gioi is not a water cave like But Cave, but it is the largest cave in the Thung Nham ecological system. To reach the cave, you have to climb more than 400 stone steps, the path is beautiful and pristine. Inside the cave, there is a lighting system, allowing you to fully admire the stalactites. The cave is divided into 3 levels: Earthly Realm, Underworld, and Heaven; each level contains profound meanings about human life.
Tien Ca Cave
Associated with the legend of the mermaid turned to stone in the cave, it is a water cave that stretches through the mountain for 1,500m. It has been planned to be very beautiful with a sparkling lighting system. The entrance to the cave is a beautiful bamboo bridge. The stalactites here are very delicate, with many beautiful shapes, as if crafted by an artisan.
Heavenly Palace Cave
The name sounds very majestic, and of course, the scenery will not disappoint you when you come to this cave.
Moving Banyan Tree
The banyan tree is associated with many legends along with an ancient temple dedicated to the general of the Dinh family – Viet Thang Dai Vuong. According to local people and scientific evidence, this banyan tree has moved its position around the ancient temple three times, each move lasting 300 years.
Valley of Love Flowers
No need to go to Da Lat to admire the Valley of Love because Thunh Nham already has it. If you love flowers, this is definitely your virtual living spot.
Thousand-Year-Old Pomu Tree
The thousand-year-old Pomu tree has thousands of years with 5 branches like the Buddha’s hand, very unique. The tree is about 3m tall, growing on a large rock. According to legend, the tree was planted during the reign of King Dinh Tien Hoang when the king went on a pilgrimage.
Surely this type of garden will be loved by families who want their children to experience it. With an area of 800,000m2, many types of tropical fruits, besides being able to freely pick fruit in the garden, tourists can try their hand at being a farmer, specifically planting vegetables and taking care of animals.
Accommodations near Thung Nham
Planned as an ecotourism area, when visiting Thung Nham, you won’t have to worry about lodging. There are many resorts, hotels, and homestays here, with some providing convenient accommodations within Thung Nham itself, offering all the necessary services. Staying here is particularly convenient as every late afternoon, you can comfortably watch flocks of birds returning to their nests and immerse yourself in nature’s fresh air.
Here are some hotels in the area:
- Thung Nham Resort Ninh Binh: A familiar 4-star resort very close to nature, surrounded by rivers and mountains. The spacious, green, and airy space is ideal for events, team-building, outdoor activities for families and groups. You can stroll around for relaxation, swim, and rest after tiring days. In the evening, you can cycle around the resort, row a boat to explore the bird garden. The accommodation includes private rooms and dormitories for up to 50 people. The resort has a lake-view restaurant, outdoor dining area, and a chill bar by the lake.
- Tam Coc Garden Resort: Located 2 km from Thung Nham, surrounded by vast rice fields and hills. You can enjoy a day close to pristine nature with various room options, a swimming pool, and free bikes to explore Tam Coc’s rice fields in the evenings. The resort’s restaurant offers delicious dishes from Ninh Binh.
- Tan Dinh Farmstay: About 1.5 km from Thung Nham, it’s a budget-friendly option with mountain and lake view rooms, a swimming pool, green spaces, and the option for excellent pre-arranged meals or the possibility to cook your own, experiencing the local market.
- Anh Tuan Tam Coc Old Space Bungalow: Located 2.6 km from Thung Nham Bird Garden, these charmingly designed and cozy Bungalows are nestled in the Tam Coc nature. With a restaurant, sunbathing terrace, and a pool, it provides a delightful experience.
- Tam Coc Valley Homestay: Over 2 km away from the bird garden, these beautiful homestays are interconnected, blending with the picturesque landscape. Featuring a swimming pool, dining restaurant, and bicycles for leisurely exploration.
- Viet Co Village Hotel: This hotel preserves the appearance of traditional Vietnamese houses, offering luxury and complete amenities for guests.
What to eat when visiting Thung Nham
As it is a large tourist area, Thung Nham Ninh Binh offers a variety of dining options comparable to those in the city. You can find a diverse range of dishes such as goat meat, burnt rice, and Northern-style rice. With decent quality and food safety, you can comfortably dine here without worrying about overcharging.
Within the Thung Nham Bird Garden, there are also several restaurants serving delicious specialties of Ninh Binh. However, visitors can also enjoy local cuisine at restaurants within the Trang An and Tam Coc Bich Dong scenic areas. When in Ninh Binh, don’t miss the opportunity to try goat meat and burnt rice. In addition to these, you can savor other local specialties such as grilled fish with tram leaves, steamed Thung Nham lake fish, grilled goat with crickets, goat fermented with basil, goat steamed with purple perilla, Ninh Binh mountain snails, grilled bat bun, eel vermicelli, ant egg sticky rice, snakehead fish salad, and Kim Son meatball noodle soup.
Here are some restaurants in Thung Nham and the surrounding area:
- Magaly-bistro & Bar
- Address: Ben Thuyen, Tam Coc, Ninh Hai. Specializes in Ninh Binh’s local specialties such as goat meat, steamed Thung Nham lake fish, and grilled goat with crickets.
- Thung Nham Restaurant – Café – Bar
- Located on a peninsula amidst a clear blue lake, Thung Nham Restaurant and Hill Coffee offer a breathtaking 360-degree view, capturing the serene landscape of the peaceful valley. The design, blending with nature and featuring pleasant wooden and floral colors, creates a relaxing and cozy atmosphere. There are five dining rooms named after the 5b list of rare birds in Thung Nham, each with a 360-degree view.
- Tam Coc Lantern Restaurant
- Tam Coc Street, 200 meters from the boat dock, making it easily accessible.
- Dao PhuKet Restaurant
- Located in Hoa Lu, Ninh Binh, near the boat dock, this restaurant also has a bar, making it suitable for young people and Western guests who come to enjoy
Some Notes When Visiting Thung Nham
As this is an outdoor recreational activity, there are some important notes to consider:
- Hat or umbrella to protect against sun and rain.
- Sunscreen or mosquito repellent to protect against insects.
- A pair of comfortable sports shoes for extensive exploration without getting tired.
- Thung Nham Ninh Binh map to proactively choose places to visit or plan ahead to not miss any interesting activities.
- Bird watching hours are usually from 4-6 pm, depending on the day and season. You can contact the tourism management in advance to ensure you don’t miss the bird-watching hours.
Above is the article from DanangPrivateCar.com’s about the eco-tourism site Thung Nham Bird Park. We hope that this information will enhance your travel experiences. Wishing you and your family a joyful and safe journey.