Hoi An is no longer an unfamiliar name on the tourist map of Vietnam. It always ranks among the most attractive destinations in the Central region that travel enthusiasts prioritize. So, for such a famous destination, is it expensive? This is something that those who intend to visit Hoi An are wondering about. This article will help you answer how much it costs to travel to Hoi An independently. Let’s find out!
Hoi An Tourism – An attractive destination for every traveler.
Located in the lower reaches of the Thu Bon River, in Quang Nam province, Hoi An is a famous tourist city also known as the “Hoi An Ancient Town”. This ancient land carries its own charm, depicted as a simple, rustic, and poetic painting that captivates any visitor who sets foot here, even just once.
When you travel to Hoi An, you will immerse yourself in the peaceful life of the local people, stroll along the streets lined with moss-covered, ancient red-tiled houses, and participate in unique festivals while savoring the local specialties that exude the flavors of the old town. This destination is easy to reach and is considered to have reasonable expenses, which attracts both local and international travelers, including young people. So, how much money do you need to prepare if you want to visit Hoi An?
Considerations when calculating the expenses for independent travel to Hoi An.
Whether you’re traveling to Hoi An or anywhere else, it’s always important to calculate the expenses to ensure adequate preparation. It’s difficult to provide an exact price, but doing so can give you a rough estimate and help you avoid overspending. To calculate the expenses, you need to:
Plan your trip.
First, to facilitate your visit to the ancient town, it’s advisable to prepare a detailed itinerary with careful planning, such as determining the best time to go, how long you will stay in Hoi An, transportation options, places to visit, and what to eat. By considering these factors, you can easily come up with a budget for a perfect trip.
Transportation to Hoi An is not as convenient as in cities like Da Nang, Hanoi, or Ho Chi Minh City, as there is no train station or airport directly in Hoi An. Usually, travelers have to transfer to Da Nang and then take a motorbike, bus, taxi, or tourist car to Hoi An. However, the distance is not too far, and you should book your tickets in advance to get the most suitable fares.
Timing of your trip.
The prices of services in Hoi An vary depending on the time of year. For train and bus tickets, it’s advisable to keep track of and research for the best prices, including frequent promotions. It’s best to avoid booking tickets during holidays and Tet (Lunar New Year) to save on transportation costs.
Apart from transportation, accommodation and dining services are also more expensive during peak seasons. If you choose to visit during high season, you should budget additional expenses. However, if you want to save money, consider visiting during other times.
The expenses for independent travel to Hoi An depend on personal financial capabilities and preferences. In Hoi An, there are various types of accommodations ranging from budget to luxury hotels, guesthouses, and homestays, each with different price ranges. Consider your own conditions when choosing, as accommodations in upscale areas tend to be more expensive than those in ordinary locations. The same applies to dining and transportation.
Furthermore, if you have a need for souvenirs or gifts for your relatives and friends, consider what to buy, such as souvenirs or local specialties. Each product has a different price range. Buying more or expensive items will undoubtedly increase your expenses.
How much does it cost to travel to Hoi An independently and the main expenses?
Cost of transportation to Hoi An.
In this article, danangprivatecar.com will estimate the cost of traveling from Da Nang. Depending on each person’s location, there are various transportation options to get to Da Nang. Once you arrive in Da Nang, you can choose from different forms of transportation to Hoi An, including some extremely cost-effective options. Specifically:
- Bus: Currently, there is a bus route from Da Nang to Hoi An, with a cost of only 16,000 VND/one way. Note that the bus only operates from 5:30 AM to 5:50 PM. However, this option is suitable for domestic travelers, and we do not recommend it for international travelers who are visiting Da Nang for the first time.
- Motorbike: If you rent a motorbike in Da Nang, it will cost around 100,000 – 150,000 VND/bike/day + 40,000 VND (fuel cost).
- Open bus: To serve the needs of tourists, there are open buses available to take visitors to explore the ancient town. The price for one way is around 80,000 VND, and round trip is 150,000 VND. However, only a few buses operate at fixed times such as 8 AM or 3 PM.
- Private car transfer: This option involves hiring a private car, which is suitable for groups of 4 – 7 people, with a price range of around 350,000 VND/one way. We currently provide private car services from Da Nang airport to Hoi An, and you can book it within minutes to have the best trip.
- Taxi: The price is slightly higher than a private car transfer. The taxi fare in Da Nang is around 15,000 – 20,000 VND/km. The distance from Da Nang to Hoi An is approximately 40 km, so the cost is around 600,000 VND/one way.
Cost of transportation in Hoi An.
Once you have arrived in the ancient town, you don’t need to worry about transportation within the city center because there are plenty of options available, such as buses, taxis, Grab, cyclos, bicycles, and motorbikes. Since the tourist attractions are not far from the central location, which is Hoi An’s Old Town, you can easily get around Hoi An by bicycle or motorbike.
Based on the travel experience in Hoi An, it is most convenient to rent a motorbike for around 100,000 – 150,000 VND per day, allowing you to comfortably explore various destinations. Alternatively, if you want to have an enjoyable experience and fully immerse yourself in the ancient town, you can rent a bicycle for around 40,000 VND per day. This option significantly reduces your expenses.
Furthermore, if you wish to visit destinations outside of Hoi An that are too far to reach on your own, you can consider renting a private car with a driver In Hoi An from DanangPrivateCar.com’s. Their professional drivers who are familiar with all the routes will provide you with a cost-effective solution for your trip.
Cost of hotel accommodation in Hoi An.
As a tourist city, Hoi An offers a wide range of accommodation options, including resorts, hotels, guesthouses, and homestays. The prices vary depending on the quality of the accommodations. On average, the cost is around 300,000 VND per day per room for two people. If you prefer a higher-end stay, the price can range from 1,000,000 VND per night and above. Alternatively, you can opt for a more budget-friendly option by choosing a homestay, which typically costs around 200,000 VND per night.
Cost of sightseeing in Hoi An.
To calculate how much money you will spend on sightseeing in Hoi An, you need to know how many days you will be staying and which places you will visit. This section lists the entrance fees for various attractions in Hoi An for your reference. You can add the respective sightseeing costs to your expenses based on the places you visit.
- Hoi An Ancient Town: 80,000 VND per person (allows visitors to choose 4 out of 22 locations in the Old Town).
- Thanh Ha Pottery Village: 35,000 VND per person.
- Thanh Ha Terracotta Park: 40,000 VND per adult, 20,000 VND per child.
- Tra Que Vegetable Village: 10,000 VND per person.
- Vinpearl Land Nam Hoi An: 550,000 VND per person (all-inclusive package).
- My Son Sanctuary: 100,000 VND per ticket.
- Bay Mau Coconut Forest: 75,000 VND per person.
- Cu Lao Cham Island: If you travel independently, the canoe ticket price is around 350,000 – 400,000 VND for a round trip (excluding food and beverages).
Cost of food and drinks while traveling in Hoi An.
When it comes to dining in Hoi An, you won’t have to spend a lot of money. Typically, if you aim for the maximum budget, you can expect to spend around 200,000 VND per day per person to enjoy various local specialties. Alternatively, if you opt for more budget-friendly options, you can get by with around 100,000 VND per person per day, which is quite affordable. If you’re a seafood lover, the prices are not too expensive due to the proximity to An Bang Beach, and you can enjoy fresh and delicious seafood with a budget of around 400,000 VND.
Here are some enticing dishes you can try: Mi Quang (Quang-style noodles) for about 20,000 VND per bowl, Cao Lau (Hoi An-style noodles) ranging from 25,000 to 40,000 VND per bowl, Banh Mi Phuong (Phuong’s baguette) for 20,000 VND per loaf, Com Ga (chicken rice) for 35,000 to 45,000 VND per serving, Nuoc Mot (Mot drink) for 15,000 VND per glass, Banh uot thit nuong (grilled meat wrapped in rice paper) at around 25,000 to 30,000 VND per serving.
Cost of purchasing souvenirs and miscellaneous items.
After your trip, you will likely want to buy some items as gifts for your family and friends. Souvenirs in Hoi An are generally inexpensive, except for high-quality silk and embroidered paintings.
- Hoi An lanterns: from 10,000 to 14,000 VND per lantern.
- Wooden carvings: 120,000 to 200,000 VND per item.
- Toys made from rice dough: from 3,000 to 10,000 VND per piece.
- Floating cards: around 40,000 VND per card.
- Hoi An silk: 500,000 to 1,000,000 VND per set.
- Green bean cakes: around 10,000 VND per box.
- Banh to (a type of cake): 50,000 to 60,000 VND per piece.
- Hong Dao wine: 130,000 to 145,000 VND per bottle.
So, how much does it cost in total for a self-guided trip to Hoi An?
Therefore, if you embark on a 3-day, 2-night trip to Hoi An starting from Hanoi (including transportation fees to Da Nang) and additional expenses, the cost will range from 4,500,000 to 4,800,000 VND per person. If you depart from Ho Chi Minh City, the expenses may be slightly lower, ranging from 4,000,000 to 4,300,000 VND per person.
Of course, if your trip is shorter, around 2 days and 1 night, the self-guided travel cost to Hoi An will be lower, ranging from 3,600,000 to 4,000,000 VND per person. Overall, considering Hoi An’s status as a famous destination, these costs are not excessively high. Moreover, you can enjoy food, fun, and entertainment to your heart’s content.
Note: These costs are for reference only and may vary depending on the timing and the timing of ticket bookings.
Some tips to save costs on self-guided travel to Hoi An.
Everyone wants to have an enjoyable and budget-friendly trip, especially those with limited budgets. After knowing how much it costs for a self-guided trip to Hoi An and wanting to save costs, don’t forget to keep in mind the following tips:
- Book your flight tickets and hotel accommodations in advance (at least 2 months) to get the cheapest prices and avoid running out of availability.
- Unexpected expenses can arise during the trip. To limit this issue, you can book Hoi An tours or travel packages that include various services to save money and eliminate worries.
- Most staff at restaurants and shops are enthusiastic and transparent in their service and advice. Therefore, don’t follow random recommendations from strangers, as it can lead to confusion or higher costs.
- If you’re traveling with a small group, choose appropriate means of transportation such as motorbikes or bicycles, and avoid relying on taxis or private cars as the costs per person can be quite high.
With these shared tips, you have answered the question of how much it costs for a self-guided trip to Hoi An to some extent, right? Although it’s not an exact figure, based on this information, you can easily calculate and prepare for your upcoming trip. Wishing you a joyful and cost-effective journey.