Da Lat Railway Station is a must-visit tourist attractions in Dalat. It is not only the only railway station in Vietnam that still operates steam locomotives but also a place for sightseeing and taking virtual photos for every traveler coming to the city of thousands of flowers. Below are the guided experiences for visiting Da Lat Railway Station provided by DanangPrivateCar.com’s to ensure you have a memorable trip!
Overview of Da Lat Station
Does Da Lat have a train station, and where is Da Lat Station located?
- Address: 1 Quang Trung, Ward 10, Da Lat City, Lam Dong
- Get directions to the station
- Da Lat Station opening hours: 7:30 am – 5:00 pm
What is the name of Da Lat Station? The station has been closely associated with Da Lat since the early days of its construction—Da Lat Station. Da Lat Station is one of the two oldest railway stations in Vietnam. It is also the station that preserves a steam locomotive (unique in Vietnam), a type of train that is now rare worldwide.
Ticket Prices for Visiting Da Lat Station
Visitors can purchase tickets directly at Da Lat Station for the price of 10,000 VND per person (children under 1 meter tall are free of charge). The ticket price remains unchanged even during holidays. The station opens at 7:00 am and does not receive visitors after 5:00 pm.
The best time for sightseeing during the day is from 8:00 am to 10:00 am. During this time, the weather is pleasant, not too cold or too sunny, providing a comfortable experience throughout the visit.
Every day, Da Lat Station operates a short section of about 7 km, serving tourists in Da Lat with 5 departures from Da Lat to Trai Mat:
- First trip: 7:15 am – 9:15 am
- Second trip: 9:20 am – 11:20 am
- Third trip: 11:55 am – 1:25 pm
- Fourth trip: 2:00 pm – 3:30 pm
- Last trip: 4:05 pm – 5:35 pm
Ticket prices for the Da Lat – Trai Mat train for domestic Vietnamese passengers are:
- One-way ticket: 72,000 VND per person
- Round-trip ticket: 108,000 VND – 150,000 VND per person
- Children under 1 meter tall ride for free.
Ticket prices for the Da Lat – Trai Mat train for foreign tourists are:
- One-way ticket: 150,000 VND per person
- Round-trip ticket: 170,000 VND per person for a round-trip ticket.
Note for visitors: A one-way ticket is only applicable for groups of 10 people or more. In addition, Da Lat Station also provides support for large group visitors.
As the train operates on a single track, it travels slowly to allow passengers to fully experience the beauty of Da Lat. Sitting in the train compartment, you can enjoy the panoramic view of the beautiful wild sunflowers and cherry blossoms.
Da Lat Station and Its Lesser-Known Superlatives
- Tallest Railway Station in Vietnam: Due to Da Lat’s elevation of 1,500 meters above sea level, Da Lat Railway Station has become the highest railway station in Vietnam. The 16km cog railway passes through the 1,000-meter high Song Pha Pass with a 12% slope, designed in a Swiss style.
- Oldest and Longest-standing Station in Indochina: Built in the 1980s, Da Lat Station is renowned as the oldest and most unique station in Vietnam.
- Most Beautiful Railway Station in Vietnam: Da Lat Station is an exceptionally beautiful architectural masterpiece in the city of Da Lat. Despite the challenges over the years, the station’s architecture remains intact and is an iconic representation of the city.
- Only Steam Locomotive Head in Da Lat: Da Lat Station is the sole location preserving a steam locomotive head from ancient times. Along with that is a 16km cog railway resembling a sawtooth, considered as two ancient treasures that are scarcely found elsewhere in the world.
- Station with the Most Unique Symbol in Vietnam: Da Lat Station features a distinctive architectural style, similar to the railway stations in the southern part of France, with sections extending from the roof and tapering towards the base in a vertical direction. The station has three pyramid-shaped roofs, symbolizing the three peaks of Langbiang Mountain or the communal houses of the Central Highlands.
Guide to Getting to Da Lat Station
Da Lat Station is approximately 5 km from the city center. You can choose any mode of transportation to get there. The road is quite easy to navigate, and there is usually no traffic congestion, so you can travel with peace of mind.
Starting from the city center, near Da Lat Market, you proceed along Ho Xuan Huong Street towards Lam Vien Square. Then, continue straight on Yersin Street for about 2 km until you encounter a small hill around the pine forest, where you will see the station on the right.
If you cannot locate the station, you can ask the locals living around the area. They will be happy to guide you to Da Lat Station with helpful directions.
- You can take a taxi directly from your hotel or other tourist locations to the station. Taxi prices range from 10,000 to 11,000 VND per kilometer. Refer to the article “Taxi in Da Lat” for selecting an affordable and reliable taxi company.
- You can also rent a motorbike in Dalat, with daily prices ranging from 80,000 to 120,000 VND, depending on the type of bike. (Renting a motorbike is a suitable option for couples or groups, allowing tourists to explore various other tourist destinations in Da Lat.)
- Additionally, you can rent a private car with a driver in Dalat from DanangPrivateCar.com’s. With a professional driver and years of experience, they will ensure you have the safest and most convenient trip. If you are in Ho Chi Minh City, you can also book a private car from Ho Chi Minh City to Da Lat.
Da Lat Station – A Seriously Cool Instagrammable Spot
With its vintage and classical setting, this is an unmissable check-in location when traveling to Da Lat. Every nook and cranny at the station can produce super cute photos of various concepts. Here, you can also capture a beautiful portrait of yourself through the extraordinary skill of “fire pen dancing” by the artists.
The station also has a souvenir shop where you can buy small and lovely keepsakes at reasonable prices. You are free to choose and purchase them as gifts for your family and friends.
Da Lat Station has never lost its popularity among the young community. This famous attraction is one of the most beautiful and appealing check-in spots in the city of a thousand flowers. However, don’t come here and leave disappointed because you didn’t get a satisfying picture. Choose a mix-and-match outfit that suits the background and pocket the experience of exploring Da Lat independently to fully preserve the exciting journey to Da Lat Station.
The café inside the train station is a place for you to enjoy a delicious cup of Da Lat coffee in a vintage atmosphere. The café utilizes part of the station’s space, providing coffee service and equipping wooden tables and chairs. The ambiance brings a romantic feel, a touch of art, and, most importantly, a revival of the ancient past. After snapping away to your heart’s content, head here to let your soul calm down and find tranquility.
What to Do When You Arrive at Da Lat Station?
When you visit Da Lat Station, what activities should you engage in and where should you explore? DulichToday suggests some of the most useful activities for you to enjoy during your visit.
Explore Da Lat Station
The station is divided into two parallel railway tracks. One side has unused tracks, providing two train ends for tourists to explore inside the train compartments and take photos. On the other side, the train end is used for the journey to Trai Mat. Tourists can freely check-in along the tracks and at the train station used for sightseeing.
Note: Many foreign tourists, especially from China, visit this location. Therefore, it’s advisable to visit Da Lat Station in the morning or early afternoon to avoid crowded situations and excessive photo-taking by others.
Take the Train from Da Lat to Trai Mat
Traveling by train from Da Lat Station to Trai Mat offers a unique route for tourists to admire the entire beautiful landscape. The train takes 20 minutes to reach its destination and another 20 minutes to return to the station, with a 30-minute stop at Chua Ve Chai for sightseeing.
|108,000 – 150,000 VND/ticket
- Free admission for children under 1 meter tall.
- There are a total of 5 tours from Da Lat Station to Trai Mat each day.
- Tourists can take one tour and return on a different day.
- The schedule may vary depending on the number of passengers. If there are too few (less than 20 people), the trip may be canceled. Therefore, it’s recommended to call in advance to confirm the train schedule.
Dalat Train Villa – Enjoy Coffee at the Train Station
Dalat Train Villa is located in the railway villa area, with the path leading to the cafe adorned with rows of hydrangea flowers that bloom beautifully in season. What makes this coffee shop famous is its unique location inside an old train carriage right in Da Lat Station. The cafe is designed within the vintage train carriage, creating a peculiar yet impressive atmosphere.
The space of the cafe is relatively small but neatly arranged, with unique furniture featuring soft sky blue and yellow pressed wood chairs, creating a gentle feeling. On the walls, there are many cute paintings, especially those depicting images of trains from around the world.
Tourist Attractions Near Da Lat Station
Creating an itinerary that includes both Da Lat Station and nearby attractions will allow you to explore many of the highlights of Da Lat. DulichToday suggests some tourist spots near Da Lat Station to enhance your trip:
- Lam Vien Square: Approximately 1 km from Da Lat Station to Lam Vien Square. This is one of the attractions drawing many tourists with games and events taking place.
- Xuan Huong Lake: A symbol of Da Lat tourism with beautiful sunrise and sunset scenes that feel like a peaceful painting.
- Dalat Pedagogical College: The nearest tourist spot to Da Lat Station, about 800m away, and completely free to visit.
- Lam Dong Museum: A place exhibiting over 15,000 traditional artifacts of the local area, showcasing the cultural richness. Visitors can gain insights into the local culture and the people of Da Lat.
- Nam Phuong Queen’s Palace: Located within the Lam Dong Museum compound, Nam Phuong Palace is one of the most famous French-style villas in Da Lat. The cool and romantic atmosphere of this palace will be an indispensable part of your trip to Da Lat.
Despite numerous ups and downs, Dalat Railway Station has endured, preserving the memories of a bygone era for the city. It is not only an attractive destination for tourists, but also a repository of many values for Da Lat in general and its people in particular. If you have the opportunity to visit the dreamy Da Lat, don’t miss out on this incredibly cool check-in location!