Loc Cake Hue is a Vietnamese traditional delicacy that originated in the Hue region of Vietnam. It is also known as “Banh Bot Loc” or “Banh Bot Loc Hue“. Loc Cake Hue has a unique taste and texture that makes it stand out from other Vietnamese desserts. It is made of thin layers of rice flour, coconut milk, and tapioca starch, with a filling of shrimp, pork, or beef, and flavored with spices and herbs. In this article, we will take a closer look at the history of Loc Cake Hue and provide a step-by-step guide to making this delicious dessert.
What is Loc Cake Hue and its History?
Loc Cake Hue is a popular Vietnamese dessert that has been around for centuries. It is believed to have originated in the imperial city of Hue, where it was served to the royal family. The name “Loc Cake” comes from the Vietnamese word “loc” which means “filtering.” The cake is made by filtering rice flour through a cloth to create thin layers, which are then steamed and layered with a filling of meat or seafood.
During the Vietnam War, many Vietnamese people fled the country and brought their culinary traditions with them. As a result, Loc Cake Hue has become popular all over the world and is now a common item on the menu in Vietnamese restaurants.
See More: Banh Nam – Vietnamese Flat Rice Dumplings
The unique flavor of Hue’s banh bot loc
One of the specialties that make up the essence of Hue cuisine is the banh bot loc Hue, from its unique preparation to its distinct flavor that can’t be found anywhere else. It can be said that Hue is the birthplace of banh bot loc, as the locals have developed their own recipe to create the characteristic shrimp and pork filling that instantly reminds you of the imperial city.
The main ingredients used in this delicacy are tapioca flour, shrimp, and pork. The tapioca flour is made from the best quality rice, while fresh shrimp is cleaned and left with their shells on to give the steamed cake a beautiful red color. The filling of this Hue delicacy also includes braised pork. The crispy and fragrant shrimp flavor blends perfectly with the pork to give the cake a rich and bold taste. The dipping sauce for the cake even includes the leftover shrimp filling sauce from the pan.
In Hue, there are two types of banh bot loc: one without banana leaf wrapping and one that is wrapped in banana leaves. After mixing and kneading the flour, the shrimp and pork filling is added before being wrapped in banana leaves and steamed. Each cake must be translucent, with the flour not sticking or pooling in the leaves. The cake should also have a soft, chewy texture and a bold flavor from the shrimp and pork filling to meet the standard.
Overall, Hue’s banh bot loc is a must-try dish when visiting the ancient city, as its unique flavor is truly one-of-a-kind.
See More: Our chauffeured car rental service in hue will take you to the Hue banh bot loc shops of your choice. Book our shuttle service now to indulge in Hue cuisine.
A Step-by-Step Guide to Making the Perfect Loc Cake Hue:
To make Loc Cake Hue, you will need the following ingredients:
- 400g rice flour
- 100g tapioca starch
- 500ml coconut milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- Filling of your choice (shrimp, pork, or beef)
- Spices and herbs (garlic, shallots, chili, lemongrass, etc.)
- Mix the rice flour, tapioca starch, salt, and coconut milk in a bowl until well combined.
- Heat the cooking oil in a pan and add the filling and spices. Cook until the filling is browned and fragrant.
- Spread a thin layer of the rice flour mixture on a cloth or banana leaf and steam for a few minutes until cooked.
- Repeat step 3 until you have enough layers for your cake.
- Spread the filling on top of each layer and stack them on top of each other.
- Steam the cake for 20-30 minutes until cooked.
Tips & Tricks for Crafting the Most Delicious Loc Cake Hue:
- Use high-quality ingredients for the best results.
- Cook the filling until it is well browned and fragrant to bring out the flavor.
- Add coconut milk gradually to the rice flour mixture until you get the right consistency.
- Use a cloth or banana leaf to steam the layers for a more authentic flavor.
- Decorate the cake with fresh herbs, chili, and lime for a burst of flavor.
Creating Unique and Creative Variations on the Traditional Loc Cake Hue:
While the traditional recipe for Loc Cake Hue is delicious on its own, there are many ways to get creative with this dessert. Here are some ideas for creating unique variations:
- Experiment with different flavored Banh Da Trang recipes, such as pandan, matcha, or cocoa.
- Use different fillings, such as chicken, tofu, or vegetables, for a vegetarian version.
- Cook the Banh Da Trang in a waffle iron or pan-fry it for a crispy texture.
- Top the cake with fresh fruit, caramel, or chocolate sauce for a decadent treat.
See More: Hue Beef Noodle
Top Places to Shop for Delicious Prestige Loc Cake Hue
Where should Hue Loc cake be eaten? Here are the top places to buy delicious and prestigious Hue Loc cake that you should refer to:
Hue cake Ba Van – The brand that sells the best Banh Mi in Hue
If you come to Hue to travel, you should buy delicious Hue Loc cake as a gift for family and relatives. Consider Hue Ba Van Cake – a brand that sells delicious Loc cake in Hue, which has been ordered by many tourists to bring back as a gift when coming to Hue as well as to Da Nang.
O Giau restaurant – Delicious Loc cake shop in Hue
Undoubtedly known as the “delicious food of the ancient capital”, Hue Loc cake was created by the owner of the restaurant O Giau as a unique work of art. The inner outer layer can see through the inner core. As for the shrimp and meat filling, it is fragrant, sweet, spicy and extremely delicious. The restaurant has fish sauce that looks simple, but eats to the last drop. Visit the shop on the nearest day to feel this national Loc cake Hue.
O Giau restaurant is famous for banh beo, banh nam and Hue Loc cake. The shop is quite crowded, so you should come early, from 15h00 to 17h00, the shop is very crowded.
- Address: No. 109 Le Huan – City. Hue
- Opening hours: 13:30 – 19:00
- Price: 10,000 VND – 15,000 VND
Ba Cu’s cake – Hue specialty cake flour
Ba Cu restaurant is a delicious flour cake shop in Hue that has existed for a long time in the ancient capital of Hue. The shop is large and quite clean, the advantage of the restaurant is that the waitresses here are very enthusiastic and quick.
Ba Cu shop sells mainly Hue specialties such as: Banh beo, Nam Loc, wet cake and little ram. Shrimp spring rolls with prices from 20,000 VND to 30,000 VND. The special feature of Hue Ba Cu Loc cake is the traditional fish sauce, delicious and very flavorful.
- Address: No. 23/117 Phan Dinh Phung – City. Hue
- Opening hours: 8:00 – 20:00
- Average price: 20,000 VND – 30,000 VND
Ba Do restaurant – Standard Loc cake in Hue
Ba Do restaurant, also known as Mu Do cake shop. In Hue, gourmets often call the restaurant with such a dear name. When it comes to the address to eat delicious Hue Loc cake , Mrs. Do has been famous from time immemorial.
Where to buy Hue Loc cake? Please visit Ba Do restaurant – famous and crowded. Selling a lot of Hue cakes but the best is the banana leaf Loc cake
Ba Do Loc cake is often called the typical banana leaf Loc cake of Hue cake. The cake is still mainly made from shrimp and pork belly, served with spicy fish sauce. The price for each guest when coming to eat Ba Do Loc cake is about 10,000 VND to 50,000 VND on average
- Address: No. 8 Nguyen Binh Khiem – Phu Cat Ward – City. Hue
- Opening hours: 8:00 – 21:30
Quan Thuy – Delicious Loc cake in Hue
Quan Thuy is the place to sell a variety of Hue cakes or Hue specialties. This is a very reasonable weekend destination for families or young people who want to enjoy all the cakes in Hue. The Loc cake at the shop is not only fragrant but also combined with excellent dipping sauce to make you eat forever.
In addition to loc cake, the shop also sells cakes such as: Banh Canh, Banh Beo, Banh Nam, Loc Cake, Wet Cake… and the specialty of the shop is Banh Canh Nam Pho. Come and enjoy even just once.
- Address: No. 16 Pham Hong Thai – City. Hue
- Opening hours: 07:00 – 20:00
- Estimated price: 5,000 VND – 10,000 VND
In conclusion, Loc Cake Hue is a delicious Vietnamese dessert that is easy to make and perfect for any occasion. With the right ingredients and technique, you can create a cake that is not only beautiful but also bursting with flavor. So, get your apron on