Ho Chi Minh City is known as a bustling, modern city with many vibrant activities. But you can also find a nostalgic side of Ho Chi Minh City hidden somewhere in its alleys and ancient buildings. One of these iconic landmarks that you definitely shouldn’t miss is the Saigon Central Post Office.
Let’s explore the famous tourist attractions in Ho Chi Minh City and the unique activities that take place at this renowned location with DanangPrivateCar.com.
Introduction to the Saigon Central Post Office
The Saigon Central Post Office in Ho Chi Minh City is located at 2 Cong Xa Paris Square, District 1, right next to Notre-Dame Cathedral Basilica of Saigon.
The city’s post office is a famous check-in point that attracts a multitude of tourists when visiting the city named after Uncle Ho (Ho Chi Minh). This special post office leaves a lasting impression with its classical architecture, intricate ornamental details, and distinctive yellow color.
Here, you can easily find various postal services such as express mail, money transfers, or sending letters via postal services. Additionally, visitors also have the opportunity to learn about the history and culture of Vietnam through exhibitions and interesting collections.
History of the Saigon Central Post Office
The City Post Office began construction in 1886 and was completed in 1891 under the skilled hands of the French architect Gustave Eiffel.
Throughout the wartime period, the city post office played a crucial role in facilitating communication between the civilian population and the military, as well as in transmitting information and news between various locations in the South. During this period, the central post office was renovated and upgraded to meet the needs of both the military and the public.
After the war ended, the City Post Office continued to develop and improve its services. The post office was equipped with advanced facilities such as fax machines, photocopiers, and typewriters.
Today, this special post office is one of the city’s most attractive destinations, offering not only high-quality postal services but also serving as a noteworthy cultural and tourist spot. It boasts unique French classical architecture and hosts art exhibitions, music events, and other cultural activities.
o ensure a smooth and convenient journey at Tan Son Nhat Airport, choosing a reliable transportation service is of utmost importance. With a private car service from DanangPrivateCar.com’s for your trip from Tan Son Nhat Airport to the city center, our private car service guarantees you a reputable, reasonably priced, and quality service
Directions to the Saigon Central Post Office
The Saigon Central Post Office is located at 2 Cong Xa Paris Street, Ben Nghe Ward, District 1, right in the city center, making it convenient for tourists to visit. Travelers can reach the City Post Office using various modes of transportation, including motorcycles, cars, taxis, or public transportation.
If you are looking for a quick and efficient way to get around, save time, and have the flexibility to explore more places in Ho Chi Minh City, you can consider hiring a private car service with a driver in Ho Chi Minh City through DanangPrivateCar.com’s. Their professional drivers with basic English language skills will guide you on your journey, and the private car service can pick you up from anywhere in the city, such as hotel lobbies, the airport, train stations, and more. The travel itinerary can be tailored to your preferences, and choosing a private car with one of our Ho Chi Minh City drivers is the optimal choice for travelers seeking convenience.
Exploring the Saigon Central Post Office
Inside the Saigon Central Post Office
The standout and impressive feature of the City Post Office for tourists is the grand arched roof and large dome-shaped windows that line the building’s ceilings. Cream-colored tiled floors create a bright and spacious atmosphere. On both sides of the building, historical maps of old Saigon are depicted. Green iron columns with wooden benches are arranged on either side of the entrance. When you sit here, you’ll feel as if you’re waiting for a train. In the center of the Post Office stands an image of the great President Ho Chi Minh.
Many souvenir products and postage stamps related to the Vietnamese people and Saigon, in particular, are available for purchase along the corridors of the building.
Outside the Saigon Central Post Office
The prominent yellow paint is what leaves an impression on tourists when they arrive. In the center of the Post Office is a large clock with intricate decorations, and below the clock are numbers indicating the year the building was constructed and inaugurated. The City Post Office combines Western architectural style with subtle classical Eastern elements, creating a captivating overall design.
On the arched windows are relief statues, each representing famous figures in the fields of telecommunications and electricity, such as Laplace, Voltaire, and Arage.
Today, not many people visit the post office to send letters, but the City Post Office still operates, serving customers with services like postal package scheduling, express mail, souvenirs, flower delivery, and gift delivery.
Tourist Attractions Near the Central Post Office in Saigon
Notre-Dame Cathedral of Saigon
Located only 30 meters from the Central Post Office, Notre Dame Cathedral of Saigon is a must-visit for tourists. The cathedral is designed in a unique blend of Roman and Gothic architectural styles. Some other highlights to explore inside the cathedral include the statue of Pigneau de Béhaine and the statue of Our Lady of Peace.
Situated about 450 meters from the Saigon Post Office, Independence Palace is a famous historical landmark where you can learn about the heroic stories of the nation. The palace is divided into different areas, including the fixed area, thematic area, and supplementary exhibition area. The palace covers an area of about 45,000 square meters, with approximately 20,000 square meters for visitor use. It also features a rooftop helipad.
Ben Thanh Market
Ben Thanh Market is one of Saigon’s most popular night attractions, located just 1 kilometer from the post office. There are two ideal times for tourists to visit Ben Thanh Market:
- From 7:30 AM to 6:00 PM: If tourists want to explore and shop inside the market.
- After 7:00 PM: If tourists want to immerse themselves in the bustling atmosphere of the vibrant and colorful night market stalls.
Nguyen Hue Walking Street
Nguyen Hue Walking Street is a place with countless photo opportunities, a modern ambiance, and various entertaining activities. You can simply stand here and capture many cool photos.
Especially, the 42 Nguyen Hue building, with a combination of cafes and fashion shops, is a hot spot loved by tourists from both domestic and international backgrounds. Moreover, the pedestrian street hosts various attractions such as music performances and a wide variety of delicious street food.
The Ho Chi Minh City Opera House
The Ho Chi Minh City Opera House, with its classical French architecture, bears some resemblance to the Hanoi Opera House. It regularly hosts professional artistic activities such as theater performances, traditional Vietnamese opera, and more. The ticket prices for events at the theater may vary depending on the program, typically ranging around 700,000 VND per person.
Some tips when visiting the Saigon Central Post Office
Some tips for visiting the Central Post Office in Saigon:
- Operating Hours: The Central Post Office typically operates from early morning until the evening. It’s a good idea to check the specific opening and closing times to plan your visit accordingly.
- Entrance Fee: As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, there was no entrance fee to visit the post office. However, this may have changed, so it’s advisable to confirm the current entry policy.
- Respectful Dress: When visiting any cultural or historical site, it’s respectful to dress modestly. Avoid wearing revealing clothing or clothing with offensive slogans.
- Photography: The architecture and interior of the post office are stunning, and photography is allowed. Be mindful of other visitors when taking photos and respect any posted photography rules.
- Guided Tours: If you want to learn more about the history and architecture of the post office, consider taking a guided tour. Local guides can provide valuable insights.
- Souvenir Shopping: The post office has a small shop where you can purchase souvenirs, postcards, and stamps. It’s a great place to find unique gifts.
- Combine with Nearby Attractions: The Central Post Office is located near several other popular attractions, as mentioned earlier. Consider planning your visit to include nearby sites to make the most of your time in the area.
- Beware of Scams: Like any tourist destination, be cautious of scams. Don’t engage with individuals who may approach you with unsolicited services or offers.
- Language: While some staff may speak English, it’s helpful to have a few basic Vietnamese phrases or a translation app handy to assist with communication.
- Respect the Space: The Central Post Office is a place of historical and cultural significance. Show respect for the building, its exhibits, and the other visitors.
- Safety: Keep an eye on your belongings and be cautious of pickpockets, especially in crowded areas.
The Saigon Central Post Office has long been a cherished spiritual landmark in the hearts of the people of Ho Chi Minh City. The unique architectural beauty, the French architect’s meticulous craftsmanship, and the exquisite decorative details have made it so that any traveler who passes through here doesn’t want to leave. There’s no reason to hesitate; explore the Saigon Central Post Office right away. DanangPrivateCar.com’s believes that when you set foot here, you will have fascinating experiences that are not available everywhere.